Saturday, August 9, 2008

Goodbye Bernard McCullough


When I got up this morning I do what I normally do; get D some breakfast and and sit down at my laptop to catch up on the world outside my little house.

I noticed that the headline on Yahoo's website was "
Bernie Mac Dies at 50." I was stunned. Honestly, I couldn't believe that one of my favorite comedians was dead. So I read the story that he died from pneumonia complications. All I could think was, "What?!?!" How can a 50-year-old man die from pneumonia complications? I also read that he had Sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease, but it went into remission in 2005 and his publicist was quoted as saying that the pneumonia was not related to the earlier disease.

So what went wrong?

I don't have the answer, but do know that he made me laugh with his comedy. I loved the Bernie Mac Show. It transcended racial and family barriers and did so with some style. Bernie Mac style, that is right "Baby Girl." Now, every year as I watch Bad Santa (which is now part of our family's Christmas tradition) I will do so with a heavier heart. But, I will be doing exactly what Bernie would have wanted ... laughing.

Thanks Bernie, You will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. I was stunned, too. I just watched "Ocean's Eleven" for the first time the other day, which Bernie starred in. (I can't believe I was missing out on that movie -- I really liked it.) Anyway, I really liked Bernie Mac. He seemed like one of those really nice people, and he always had a smile on his face. I'll miss seeing him on the big and small screens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also curious about his health issues. It's hard to believe that pneumonia alone can be a killer.
    So sad.

    ReplyDelete