Friday, August 1, 2008

D-Man's Second Birthday Party


Last week we celebrated my son's second birthday. In our house party planning is a huge deal. Ryno loves throwing parties. I too have caught that "I wanna have a party" bug. We haven't had one since D-Man's last birthday, so it had been a year. We were jonesing to have a reason to make a party playlist and slideshow on our I-Pod, hit Costco for some chicken sausages and assorted chips and dips and beer and most of all a reason to vacuum under my couch and clean the top of my fridge.
But, I forgot how stressed I get at the prospect of having a party, I have this perfectionist streak which rears its ugly head periodically. So I mailed out the invitations a month in advance then waited for people to RSVP. Which they did. We were on our way.
I then started to stress out about the cake. After all this was a birthday party for a two-year-old. I saw a picture in a magazine (Rachael Ray Everyday) of a pink, pig cupcake and decided I was going to try to replicate it. (The reason the pig was perfect for D-Man is because his transitional object and current best friend is a small stuffed Piglet.) The replication went smoothly so I was feeling pretty confident there.

But then I started to worry that it would rain and this was supposed to be a "backyard BBQ." After all it rained last year for his party. I decided to put that out of my mind and just focus on the things I could control. Like baking, frosting and decorating 48 pig cupcakes. It took me 2 1/2 hours. I will say they were cute but I have vowed if I never see another pink, pig cupcake it will be too soon.In the end, the party was a success with no rain. It was a lot of fun! We got a chance to see all our friends, eat some food, drink some beer and enjoy a nice summer day in my backyard. D-Man loved getting to hang out with other little ones and demonstrated his "fix-it" skills with his new toy drill. Thanks for everyone who came and helped us celebrate. I think we will make this birthday party stuff an annual thing.



4 comments:

  1. Hi! Trying again.
    Yay! I'm looking forward to reading your blog. Laura is still talking about D-man and the cupcakes, so the party made quite the impression on her. We had tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere, Super Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog roll is gettin' bigger. Welcome to the world, little blogger:) Now, to update my OWN blog, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are blogging. So sorry we missed D-man's party -- I gotta get over there because his present is taking up one chair at our kitchen table! My mom-in-law will be here starting tomorrow so I may not be able to get there as soon as I would like to. I'll call you.

    ReplyDelete